UN-led and UN-only For Tigray
We demand a UN-Led and UN-Only investigation into all atrocities committed in Tigray.
The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is not an independent organization.The EHRC’s lack of independence, impartiality, credibility, and promptness has been evident since the start of the conflict in November 2020. The EHRC is a state-appointed and state-funded institution. It relies on state funding to run its operation and its commissioners are appointed by parliament. The EHRC also reports to the House of Peoples’ Representatives. The parliament is meant to represent all the people of the federation. However, currently, the people of Tigray are not represented in the parliament. It is concerning that the EHRC is reporting to parliament about crimes committed in Tigray without Tigray having any political representation in the parliament.Therefore, a joint investigation will not be impartial or credible. It cannot be trusted to do further investigations in these complex, ethnically sensitive, and large-scale genocidal acts against Tigrayans. A UN-mandated investigation – without the EHRC – is an essential first step towards the path of peace making in Ethiopia. The inclusion of the EHRC, an organization that lacks credibility, impartiality, and independence, is only going to result in a biased investigation that is unjust for the victims of these atrocities.Therefore, we demand independent UN only and UN led investigations into all atrocities committed in Tigray.
- The United Nations, United States, and all countries globally should withhold its aid to the Ethiopian government until independent investigations are fully conducted.
- The United States should request for an independent investigation into the steps taken by the Ethiopian and Eritrean governments to initiate the war on Tigray prior to November 4, 2020.
- The United States should request for immediate independent UN-led only investigation of war crimes and crimes of genocide on Tigrayans.
- The United States should request for an independent UN-led only investigation on how Amnesty International and the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission handled and reported on the crimes committed in Tigray since November 4, 2020.
- The United States should request an independent investigation on ethnic profiling and discrimination against Tigrayans, especially the institutionalization of it in the state apparatus.
- The United States should request for an independent investigation into the involvement of government-owned Ethiopian Airlines in the war on Tigray.
- The United States should request for an Independent UN-led only investigation on mass-killings of civilians, rape, mass looting, destruction of industries and infrastructure, burning of crop-fields, especially by Eritrean forces and Amhara Militia.
- The United States should request for an independent UN-led only investigation on Prime Minister Abiy Amhed’s respect for the Ethiopian constitution and the borders of the federal regions.
- Investigation into the arrests of the dependents of retired and/or active members of TPLF and generals; emphasis on US citizens i.e. retired General Tsadkan’s children.